What Fun We Had
Gateway Grizzlies' Stadium
The Delegates of Illinois South Conference developed the following Statement of Identity at the Annual Meeting held at the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows in Belleville, Illinois. This completed the visioning process begun at the 2011 Annual Meeting.
"Interior journeys of spirit resemble the earth’s exterior journey moving from one season to another. Spiritual lives are not stagnant. They are on the move, characterized by change, embodying a range of experience and emotion. On the spiral or orbit of the earth’s seasons, we can lean into and identify where we currently dwell in our spiritual lives. Then we each ask, ‘Which season’s gifts and challenges are before me? And am I willing or hesitant to grow with what this season brings?’” —Martha Brunell
Rev. Dr. Martha Brunell has been a pastor, teacher, chaplain, and writer in the United Church of Christ for over 35 years. Her journey has wound its way into urban churches, interim ministry, non-profit administration, domestic violence, end of life care, community education, seminary classrooms and spiritual formation. Martha’s M.Div. is from Andover Newton (1978) and her D.Min. in preaching is from Aquinas Institute (2002). She is currently the pastor of Mayfield Congregational Church—United Church of Christ, in Sycamore, IL.
Cost is $35, includes lunch. After October 7, cost is $40. No registration after October 14.
Click here to register online.
|Since 1957, the United Church of Christ has been weaving God’s message of love and extravagant welcome with action for justice and peace. Together, we live out our faith in ways that create change and bring hope to communities in our nation and around the world.
Here are just some of the highlights of the witness and work of the UCC’s national setting in 2014:
● Responding to UCC leaders in Ferguson, St. Louis, and throughout the nation
● Nineteen new and renewing congregations
● Through the UCC Justice and Peace Action Network
● We engaged UCC congregations to pledge more than 3,000 Church World Service Gifts
● The UCC’s Office of Philanthropy and Stewardship has been fully shaped and staffed
● The first completely online UCC Data Hub is now available
● We worked with over 400 pastors and lay leaders
● In 80 countries, with more than 300 partners and 140 mission personne engaged in worldwide mission
● We led the denomination to a re-formatted UCC Ministerial Profile
● We offered 41 trainings in Conference or cross-Conference settings
● Stoking the Fires of Justice
● We organized four Stillspeaking Worship Events
● The Reading Changes Lives all-church initiative
● We raised over $55,000 for unaccompanied child refugees
● We embarked on the planning and training stages for an ecumenical Disaster Recovery Support Project
● Hundreds attended four immersion experiences
● Global Ministries’ Congo Initiative
● UCC Conferences and staff across the national setting engaged in collaborations
Read the entire report.
Illinois South Conference is searching for the right candidate to fill the position of Designated Conference Minister when Rev. Dr. Sheldon Culver retires in October, 2015. If you would like to learn more about the position, click here for the portfolio for Illinois South Conference. To apply for the Designated Conference Minister position, click here. Due to scheduling conflicts, the application deadline has been extended to July 31, 2015.
Click on links below to make an online donations.
Illinois South Conference
50th Anniversary Mission Project
To Benefit Uni-Pres Kindercottage
In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Illinois South Conference and the 50th Anniversary of Uni-Pres Kindercottage, the ISC Mission & Ecumenism Team is inviting you to participate in a special mission project to be dedicated at the ISC Annual Meeting October 24, 2015.
The state of Illinois has mandated that the Kindercottage playground be updated to comply with new safety standards by January 2016. Kindercottage currently has a Capital Campaign of which the new playground is just a portion. We are asking all churches of the Illinois South Conference to do what they can to help. The attached plans explain the playground equipment and costs. Click here to view it and share with your congregations.
Here’s how you can help...
1. Donations and Fundraisers:
Checks to be made payable and sent to Uni-Pres Kindercottage - ISC Playground Fund, 564 Veronica Ave., E. St. Louis, IL 62205.
2. Volunteer Opportunities:
Dismantle existing equipment
Remove existing mulch
For two separate playgrounds
Prepare ground for rock and concrete
Lay forms Spread rock base
Assemble and install new equipment
Install TuffTurf Safety tiles
Provide lunches and beverages on work days
Construction is scheduled for September through October so the funds need to be raised by the end of August. However, construction on the 6 - 23 months old playground pad will begin as soon as funds are received so that a playground area will be available during dismantling and reconstruction of the existing playground.
Work crews will be directed by Kent Lytle.
Lunch crews will be led by Margie Lindhorst.
Uni-Toys will provide a consultant to assist with correct installation of the TuffTurf tiles and equipment.
Diverse Minds, Covenant Hearts, Made One in the Body of Christ